Fabrication Week #5 – Two Materials – Copper Pipe & Cellophane

I really wanted to work with copper pipes and chose to use iridescent cellophane, a material that contrasts it tough, industrial feel. I bought a 10 foot piece of pipe from the hardware store, street tees, and a pipe cutter. I used glue for the pipe connections and to attach the cellophane and also tape to keep the cellophane in a conical end so it tapers down.

When I cut the pipes I smushed the ends and then needed to hammer them back into place to fit into the street tees.

I’m interested in expanding on this and doing a maze like sculpture incorporating light and sound.

 

Fabrication Week #6 – Motors – Rotating Light

I initially wanted to work with a drone and hide it within a paper lantern so I bought a kit on Amazon. I was able to put it together so it worked but it was so tricky to control it, I decided to switch directions.

 

I found a motor in the junk shelf and decided to work with that:

At first I put the rubber cap on top because it fit snugly, but then realized anything I attached to it wouldn’t rotate. I tried to stick a piece of wire into a cork and glue that to the cap but that wasn’t successful, so I decided to stick the wire directly into the encasing.

Continue reading “Fabrication Week #6 – Motors – Rotating Light”

There-Liminal Network Final Blog

placeholder://

The final test was a success!

Everything went smoothly but I made 2 changes in the final play test.

I made the light source for the photosensors candles instead of lamps which have a more focused light emanation and add to the overall sensory experience.

I tested 4 waterproof speakers and none of them sounded good enough so I’m using speakers outside the box. Visually I couldn’t make it look good with the speaker submerged this time around.

Schematic & Diagram:

Configuration & Construction:

I made a light theremin with arduino, 2 photosensors and a switch. The analog readings of the sensors were serially communicated to P5.JS via p5 serial port app. I loaded whale sounds and video into p5 along with pitch & delay effects and red, green, blue color channels to overlay on the video. All of these components are controlled by the photosensors. Pitch on one side, delay on the other, red on the right, green on the left and blue on both.

The video was run through an overhead projector and I used Maptastic in p5 that allowed me to change the shape of the video so it fit squarely into the water basen.

The circuitry is all underneath in the white box. The 2 sensors are on the first bubbles on the right and left of the box.

The audio is running out to a blue tooth speaker.

I bought an acrylic box at Canal Plastics and lined the seams with a clear waterproof sealant to make sure it could hold water.