Fabrication Week #5 – Two Materials – Copper Pipe & Cellophane

I really wanted to work with copper pipes and chose to use iridescent cellophane, a material that contrasts it tough, industrial feel. I bought a 10 foot piece of pipe from the hardware store, street tees, and a pipe cutter. I used glue for the pipe connections and to attach the cellophane and also tape to keep the cellophane in a conical end so it tapers down.

When I cut the pipes I smushed the ends and then needed to hammer them back into place to fit into the street tees.

I’m interested in expanding on this and doing a maze like sculpture incorporating light and sound.

 

Fabrication Week #6 – Motors – Rotating Light

I initially wanted to work with a drone and hide it within a paper lantern so I bought a kit on Amazon. I was able to put it together so it worked but it was so tricky to control it, I decided to switch directions.

 

I found a motor in the junk shelf and decided to work with that:

At first I put the rubber cap on top because it fit snugly, but then realized anything I attached to it wouldn’t rotate. I tried to stick a piece of wire into a cork and glue that to the cap but that wasn’t successful, so I decided to stick the wire directly into the encasing.

Continue reading “Fabrication Week #6 – Motors – Rotating Light”

Whale Theremin – Playtesting


<p><a href=”https://vimeo.com/246055784″>Whale Theremin – Playtesting</a> from <a href=”https://vimeo.com/user2116950″>Nire</a&gt; on <a href=”https://vimeo.com”>Vimeo</a&gt;.</p>

 


<p><a href=”https://vimeo.com/246146851″>Whale Theremin Playtest 2</a> from <a href=”https://vimeo.com/user2116950″>Nire</a&gt; on <a href=”https://vimeo.com”>Vimeo</a&gt;.</p>

Fabrication – enclosure

I chose to make a speaker enclosure that I will be using for PComp out of PVC. I cut small pieces of PVC tube on the miter saw to use as connectors between the curved pieces.

i will be attaching a mirrored acrylic base to it today.

The pipes at Home Depot were called 2″ but the opening is larger than that, so the Bluetooth speakers I bought fall right through, I’m going to purchase larger ones that can click in and out. For now I’m using bubble wrap and have the top pieces tilted up, which looks better aesthetically as well. I’m considering using mod podge and doing some sort of collage on it or try covering it in cement, i do also like it white, so thinking of somehow making it a glossy finish.

Im going to incorporate this into my pcomp final, where there will be two audio outputs, one will be inside a bowl of water – whose output is triggered by a theremin, that controls whale sounds, pitch and delay through p5js. A plant will be suspended in the middle of the water that has a biofeedback system that gets translated to MIDI and will be run through ableton. This pipe enclosure will be the output for the plant. There’s a place in the middle on top of the speakers, for an air plant.

Week #3 – Laser Cutting – Nazca Light Mobile

I made an acrylic light mobile based off the ancient geoglyph land etchings in Peru called “Nazca”.

I did a test on the cardboard for one shape on the 75w printer, but regret not doing the whole actual size because I confused the sizing when I switched it over to the bedding size file. This cut off the ends of the 2 birds’ tails.

IMG_7547

I had the settings at 18″ acrylic but for some reason it took 4 passes to finally cut through.

IMG_7544

download-1downloadNazca_Lines_Pre-Incan_Temple_Complex_1NascaLines03

I did the base on the 50w machine and didn’t have any problems.

I tied the nazca line shapes to the top with clear fishing wire.

Week #2 – Multiples – Cement Offering Bowls

I wanted to do a multi-step process that involved working with organic-like materials in a uniform way but where the material would ultimately have the final say.  I was thinking of companies that do large runs of irregular pieces that are hand made and how the variations are the desired outcome, but can still work within a series.

I chose to work with cement and balloons as the mold, creating a very smooth inside with a rough more natural outside – mimicking something you’d find in nature such as a barnacle or an egg.  As I worked with the 1st piece, I noticed the concrete was very thick, so I added water to the entire mix to increase malleability.  I had to constantly add water and squeeze through the cement to keep it from becoming solid.

When I got to my 2nd and 3rd model, there was a refinement in my technique, where i would put the whole amount of material on top of the balloon and then smooth it out, and then wet the gloves and lightly smooth out the surface. 

It took 3 days to completely dry out. On the 3rd evening I noticed some of the balloons had lost some air, creating space in between the balloon and concrete and there were cracks in one of them, due to unevenness in the levels of cement.

I then painted the insides gold and the extra one black on the outside, I left the 5 natural on the outside because I preferred the look.

I finished with a matte finish spray to seal them. The intended use is for candles, offering bowls, for jewelry or decorative.

 

IMG_7403IMG_7459IMG_7458IMG_7456IMG_7457IMG_7455IMG_7405IMG_7437IMG_7438IMG_7439IMG_7442IMG_7445IMG_7446IMG_7447IMG_7449IMG_7450

Intro to Fabrication Week #1 – Selenite Flashlight

I decided to use a Selenite crystal for the flashlight and drilled the crystal starting with the smallest drill bit, increasing to the size of the LED. I connected it with two 1.5V batteries and a battery holder with a switch. The base of the flashlight is made out of a plastic vitamin bottle that I glued for security with a bottom hole cut out for the switch.

IMG_7370IMG_7371IMG_7368IMG_7376IMG_7375