There-Liminal Network Final Blog






The final test was a success!

Everything went smoothly but I made 2 changes in the final play test.

I made the light source for the photosensors candles instead of lamps which have a more focused light emanation and add to the overall sensory experience.

I tested 4 waterproof speakers and none of them sounded good enough so I’m using speakers outside the box. Visually I couldn’t make it look good with the speaker submerged this time around.

Schematic & Diagram:

Configuration & Construction:

I made a light theremin with arduino, 2 photosensors and a switch. The analog readings of the sensors were serially communicated to P5.JS via p5 serial port app. I loaded whale sounds and video into p5 along with pitch & delay effects and red, green, blue color channels to overlay on the video. All of these components are controlled by the photosensors. Pitch on one side, delay on the other, red on the right, green on the left and blue on both.

The video was run through an overhead projector and I used Maptastic in p5 that allowed me to change the shape of the video so it fit squarely into the water basen.

The circuitry is all underneath in the white box. The 2 sensors are on the first bubbles on the right and left of the box.

The audio is running out to a blue tooth speaker.

I bought an acrylic box at Canal Plastics and lined the seams with a clear waterproof sealant to make sure it could hold water.

PComp ICM Final Update – Plant-Water/You Duet

For my final project I’m building off of the midterm project light theremin, having it now trigger whale sounds in p5, with the theremin affecting the pitch.

The theremin will trigger sound in p5 whose audio output is routed to a waterproof speaker that will be in a clear plastic bowl. There will be a plant suspended in the middle of the bowl with the roots inside the water – the plant will be connected to MIDISprout which uses electrodes to read micro-electrical shifts in the plant and then translates it to MIDI data. This will be connected ultimately to Ableton Live.
Touching the plant is usually the trigger for Midisprout’s change in notes but I’m going to have the audio from the theremin trigger the shifts,  because the water in the bowl will make various vibrations according to the pitch played.
For my midterm the audio traveling through the water created cymatic patterns that corresponded to the frequency – the hope is that the patterns will still form around the plant as well, but is not essential for this concept at this point.
This will enable the user to trigger a range of sound from p5 that could be used to duet with the plant since the plant will be generating sound from the vibrations of the MIDIsprout.
MiDISprout connected to Ableton:

Whale sounds and pitch:




Whale Sound Example:

The 2 light theremins would control the pitch and delay – currently corresponding to the bubble images.

The background of the sketch will be whale video footage whose speed will correspond with the pitch, that I’d like to project overhead onto the water.

Final Project Proposal

I’d like to continue to work with sound and organic or “organic-like” material such as magnetic putty that moves in animated way. I’ve been exploring ways to expand on the Cymatics midterm. I’m interested in possibly incorporating wearables in some way and plant sensors to triggers sounds.



Ferrofluid and magnets


Magnetic Putty

Plant Triggers